Saturday, March 1, 2008

A Week of Firsts

Well, I have finished my first week of work here. Despite the fact that a separation of 2 ½ months from my family is a long time, it has become clear that it is an extremely short time for the sort of work that we are trying to accomplish here. In just the few days that I have been here, we have had meetings that have unearthed challenges regarding funding, community support, organizational support from other NGO’s and the government, and resources for certain programs. I definitely have my work cut out for me, let alone the new volunteers who are coming in.

On the plus side, the changes that we instituted last year prior to my departure have beared fruit. At one time when seeing more than 20 patients a day was a cumbersome ordeal, we can now see more than 30 without breaking a sweat. In my absence, they even established a new record of 57 patients in one day. And even with that load, their record keeping, data acquisition, and care (I hope) was maintained at a high quality. A very encouraging accomplishment for them and secondarily for me. I am a bit disappointed that I was not here to witness or be a part of that milestone.

As for other firsts, I have established a new record for the “Evil” level on my Sudoku, as well as another top score on Bejeweled for my palm. It’s been almost 2 years since I have even been able to establish any type of high score on that game. Getting the top score was a very pleasant surprise. Similarly, I am the “Snake Master” on my snake game on my cell phone, another position that has evaded me for a long time. And when Joseph and I were doing yoga the other day, I was able to touch my feet in one of the stretches. Alas, I cannot still touch my feet when I do the forward fold. I guess it’s still something to aspire towards.

After finishing Coyote Blue this morning, I can firmly say that Christopher Moore is my favorite author. He is the first and only one to achieve this discintion. Even though others have written masterpieces that I consider my favorite books of all time, and Moore has yet to accomplish such a singular achievement, his opus is so entertaining, educational, insightful, and action-packed that even his inferior books are for me worth a re-read.

In addition, I am now the first volunteer in Kenya to have his own flushing toilet. It’s in my room, no less. I christened it for the first time 2 days ago. And earlier, I took the first shower in my bathroom also.

And most significantly is the accomplishment of two opposing politicians successfully creating a coalition government on a continent renowned for resolving its political issues by trying to liquidate their opponents. One could probably argue that this event is the first occurrence of its kind in recent global history. Had we had such forward thinking in 2000, perhaps we wouldn’t have a quarter-million Iraqi bodies on our national conscience.

But I shall not bring us down on this week of firsts. It should be one for celebrations – big and small. We certainly are happy here, especially for my new high scores.

No comments: