Monday, May 5, 2008

The Last Members’ Day

Yesterday was my last get together as a member of our Members’ Day. It was a nice party and it lasted pretty late for our normal soirées. We didn’t get back to the compound until past 10:30 pm.

Typical of African time, all the participants did not get there until about 6 pm even though work ended at 4:30 pm. We sat outside drinking soft drinks and talking. Finally, Paul opened our “meeting” with our Members’ Day song that he composed at our last meeting. We danced and enjoyed ourselves for the rest of the night.

Nancy & Co. prepared a send-off meal for me. It consisted of typical Luo fare – rice, ugali, sakuma, and boiled chicken. At the end of the meal, as the guest of honor, I had the privilege of eating one of the chicken feet. Darcie took a picture of me with it in my mouth. It looks pretty damn funny. It didn’t taste like much. There was hardly any meat on it. It was weird to eat the foot especially with the inner talons still attached. They remove the outer ones.

Then we just danced the rest of the night. The whole of mother nature and father sky was cooperating with the send off. The sky was alight with as many stars as I’ve seen in a very long time here. With the rainy season, the clouds prevent enjoyment of the cosmic splendor. Even a large portion of the milky way was visible. Darcie invited us down to the lake edge where we saw a fireworks display of fireflies. And in the distance we could see the city of lights created by the boats fishing for omeyna (a type of very small, bad tasting fish) with their lanterns. It was definitely a time for reveling.

At the end of the evening, there was much speech making. Everybody had some amount to drink except for me. As some of you know, I dislike beer. Anyway, I had done my fair share of Members’ Day drinking the week before. That is for another story. But with the booze, came the longest and most meandering toasts I’ve ever heard. I think it took an hour just to listen to everybody articulate their fuzzy thoughts. It was fun, albeit prolonged.

That was one party. We have another one in the works for Monday. The beginning of the official goodbye. At “greeting” on Tuesday morning will be the ultimate farewell. Parting is such sweet sorrow.

No comments: