Saturday, December 1, 2007

The Arrival of Royalty

On the day of Hugh and Marty’s arrival (the founders of Lalmba; they visit Africa twice a year to check on things), I had a surprising encounter in the cook house. As I walked to the refrigerator, I was greeted with the unusual site of a charred table and smoke-blackened wall. Apparently, some how the hose to one of the stoves ignited. When I happened onto this burnt situation, the gas cylinder was still leaking. Interestingly, no one had used that particular stove recently. Furthermore, it’s amazing that nothing more exploded considering the second gas tank was right next to the leaking one and a third tank connected to the fridge was also nearby. I was also surprised that none of the guards noticed a fire burning in the cookhouse. Maybe, it was a spontaneous flash burn. We’ll never know for sure. At least the cookhouse still exists and it didn’t go the way of the rumors; when I started work that morning, somebody said, “I heard the cookhouse burned down. But I think I still see it standing.”

Hugh and Marty visited us with Carrole, the project director from Ethiopia. Their visit was nice and quite refreshing. It was a break in the routine of being the only person around in the evenings after work. Marty did most of the cooking while we were here and I ate extremely well. Hugh was a bit surprised that I wasn’t always hungry when I was alone fending for myself. He marveled at the amount that I did eat at meals, considering the quality and quantity of food is not comparable when Marty is not here. I just told him that my appetite is proportional to the quality of food. I am more hungry when there is good food and less hungry when there isn’t, and my metabolism compensates.

Among the many things that Carrole had told me about Ethiopia, the most disturbing is the fact that they have carnivorous ants there. I read this book here called Poisonwood Bible. It’s about the Congo. At one point in the book, everybody is running from the village because these carnivorous ants are on the march. They end up eating some of the livestock. Apparently, just before Carrole’s departure, the staff had to reassure the children in the orphanage because during one of the nights, these crazy ants devoured the chickens! Man, I’m glad I’m not in Ethiopia.

During the visit, all of the mizungus (foreigners) went to the children’s home. I discovered that our visit was 10 years to the day of the opening ceremony for the home. They had a visitor’s book that we filled out, and we saw H&M’s signature there 10 years ago that day. Cool. It’s neat when you’re part of history, even if it is to be a small event.

Their visit was fruitful. Much of their time was spent discussing budget issues. Amazingly, after every single meeting that we had, we decided upon a solution and plan of action. It seems that even though things operate on Kenyan time (30 minutes to 2 hours later than the appointed time), Kenyan meetings are far more productive than the American counterparts. Or perhaps, it’s just Lalmba Kenya where the management team is extremely competent and effective.

H&M were encouraged and encouraging about the changes made to the PSC. I’m glad that they also think that I’m doing a good job. And really, I’m just managing and doing some training. Most of the ideas and all of the actual implementation are by the Kenyans. Since I’m not bogged down with everyday worries and duties, I can concentrate on the big picture and help others see it so that we can come up with a solution together.

Well, now I’m the lone Mizungu again…until Amy comes for a visit. Then it’s party time in the Serengeti!!!

No comments: