Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The Relief

Last week, I traveled to Kisumu to pick up the new volunteers. The trip there was interesting. Our plan was to leave at 6:30 am because we had to go to Homa Bay to drop off some of the staff. Both Marico and I agreed on this time of departure. However, typical of African time, Marico did not come to the clinic until 7 am and we didn’t leave until after 8 am. TIA (for those of you who have seen Blood Diamond).

I slept for most of the first half of the trip. In fact, we stopped off in Migori to have the brakes adjusted. Apparently, everybody had gotten out of the car to wait while the mechanic jacked up the car and worked on the brakes and they just left me inside. I didn’t even wake up until we stopped in Rongo because the brakes had been tightened too much and were overheating. We pulled over and Peter woke me up by knocking on the window to offer me a warm Coke. I wondered why we were drinking sodas in the middle of our trip. Finally, someone explained to me our recent mechanical misadventures and the reason for our current pit stop. My guess is that that was the first time that the mechanic worked on a car with a sleeping Mizungu inside.

The road to Homa Bay was very bad. When we reached the diocese, I saw a chameleon. Those of you who are familiar with chameleons know that they move in slow motion. The previous chameleon I saw moved so slow that he was stopped. I lay a twig on his back and he didn’t even react. This one was a bit more animated. He would walk in his jerky manner and if I tried to pick him up, he would very slowly turn his head and open his mouth in the most menacing way he could. If I strained my ears, I think I could hear him hiss. His movements were so slow, I was tempted to stick a pebble in his mouth as he tried to ward me off with his frightening chameleon yawn. Eventually, after about 30 minutes, he walked to the curb where he very quickly his underside yellow like the paint. That was cool. Then he climbed a tree and finally disappeared into the leaves, no doubt turning himself the green of his surrounding foliage. It was pretty cool to see a chameleon up close in action – well as action-packed as a chameleon can be, I guess.

Then we drove on a short-cut to Kisumu. We did some errands, meeting with the CDC, shopping at Nakumatt, etc. I stayed at the Nyanza Club. It’s an old colonial hang-out with a swimming pool, clay tennis court, racquetball courts, restaurant, and lodging. It was a nice place. Quiet. The service at the restaurant was lousy. I had to wait 45 minutes for my food. I also had to ask 3 times to get me some stupid water. Thankfully, the food was tasty. In the morning, there was a continental breakfast served. The waitress asked me if I wanted anything from the kitchen. Based on my experience the previous day, I declined. I didn’t want to have to wait until lunch to get my breakfast. Plus, I would miss meeting the new volunteers at the airport.

Marico and I both forgot when the actual arrival time of Paul and Darcie would be. So, we figured we would arrive an hour early and just hang out. Lucky we did, for P&D had already arrived 20 minutes before we got there. Their original flight was scheduled to arrive at 10:30 am but instead in the infinite wisdom of the Kenya Air authorities, they figured it would be better to depart almost 2 hours earlier. Had P&D not arrived obscenely early to the airport to ward off any delays by traffic, they would have indeed missed their flight because they were on-time. In the end, P&D greeted us not the other way around. They waved at us from the outdoor cafĂ© where they were sitting. Since, I had expected them much later, I was wondering who these people were who were waving at us. Paul walks up to the gate and I ask him, “Are you Paul?” And he replies, “Yes.” That was a bit of a weird introduction. I had imagined something more like being the figure of rescue for these people after their long journey. Instead, they encountered a bewildered and tardy individual. Oh well. TIA.

Paul and Darcie are a great pair. They have good ideas and are settling in well. H&M were excited to be part of P&D’s in-country orientation, as they have not done anything like that in many decades. It was fun having all 5 of the Mizungus at the dinner table.

Well, now H&M have left for the States. I dropped them off in Musoma yesterday. It will be the 3 of us workers now. Already, the transition seems to be working well. So well, that P&D are in the clinic and I have the opportunity to write this blog. Already the closing signs of this chapter in my life are appearing. It will be an interesting denouement.

No comments: